View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The Nosler info I have doesn't concur. Even at max loads. Take a look at the BC's as well.

I don't see anything significant that a 308 does better with a 150 than the 270 unless it's in auto load rifles. As for 240 grain bullets I can't say as I've seen a lot of guys/girls using them and might even go so far as asking why they would.

I'm not saying it's doing anything "significantly" better. Simply that it's starting a 150 faster then the .270 and the 165 at the same speed. I took it from their website, same place I get all of noslers data.

Now take the word "significant" out because that's fairly subjective and let's just look at what it is.

Achieving better velocity with 30% less powder in a short action. Bigger selection of bullets, cheaper components, larger frontal diameter, more versatile with that wider range of components... yea I would call that better. It's definitely not worse.

And that's stacking it up against a .308 which isn't even fair. Really it should have to go head to head against a 30-06 where it looks even worse.

Ballistic coefficient is fairly irrelevant with any modern spitzer on sub 400 yard shots which is why I'm not going to start dissecting it.

About the heavy for caliber bullets. See how many guys are punching long range paper with a 150 grain bullet in their 308. I'm not saying the .308 is a perfect hunting rifle with 240's but that the ability to shoot heavy bullets is there. It's not an option for a .270