View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I'm not saying it's doing anything "significantly" better. Simply that it's starting a 150 faster then the .270 and the 165 at the same speed. I took it from their website, same place I get all of noslers data.

Now take the word "significant" out because that's fairly subjective and let's just look at what it is.

Achieving better velocity with 30% less powder in a short action. Bigger selection of bullets, cheaper components, larger frontal diameter, more versatile with that wider range of components... yea I would call that better. It's definitely not worse.

And that's stacking it up against a .308 which isn't even fair. Really it should have to go head to head against a 30-06 where it looks even worse.

Ballistic coefficient is fairly irrelevant with any modern spitzer on sub 400 yard shots which is why I'm not going to start dissecting it.

About the heavy for caliber bullets. See how many guys are punching long range paper with a 150 grain bullet in their 308. I'm not saying the .308 is a perfect hunting rifle with 240's but that the ability to shoot heavy bullets is there. It's not an option for a .270

Do you understand the concept of sectional density?

Read up on it, and then compare similar constructed bullets of similar SD's.

This is how you compare bullets of different diameter.

Weight for weight in different diameters is not a good comparator.

Here is where the table readers, and the real world collide.

Then throw in different construction and flip the script again.

What would you say to a 100 grain .277" bullet out perforimng a 150 grain .308" bullet? Both in penetration, weight retention, and even a slight increase in energy!?!?!

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-13-2017 at 05:51 AM.