Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Obsessed, Older very smart bulls pull the "Watch the back trail" technique quite often. Very hard to jump them out of their bed as they are usually going north when you are still tracking south. Couple years back two very large bulls played me all day, never got within a quarter of mile of them.
Good info. I didn't think this bull was a huge old boy based on his track but it's possible it was. What is the best way to get a chance at a smart bull that watches his back track? I noticed that he back tracked every time his tracks changed from going somewhere( purposed line track) to more wandering side to side. Do they do this when they sense something is following them? Hear something on the back trail? Or just being smart and safe? I have trailed herds and singles for miles in the past but this is the first time I've seen a bull purposely watch his back track. It seemed calculated. He always swung at least 80 yds back around to watch is trail. And always stood in thick cover while watching. I was thinking that slowing way down when you notice the tracks changing and using a nervous grunt to get him to expose his location..this would be after the peak rut when there is tracking snow on the ground