Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Good info. I didn't think this bull was a huge old boy based on his track but it's possible it was. What is the best way to get a chance at a smart bull that watches his back track? I noticed that he back tracked every time his tracks changed from going somewhere( purposed line track) to more wandering side to side. Do they do this when they sense something is following them? Hear something on the back trail? Or just being smart and safe? I have trailed herds and singles for miles in the past but this is the first time I've seen a bull purposely watch his back track. It seemed calculated. He always swung at least 80 yds back around to watch is trail. And always stood in thick cover while watching. I was thinking that slowing way down when you notice the tracks changing and using a nervous grunt to get him to expose his location..this would be after the peak rut when there is tracking snow on the ground
One thing I have learned elk hunting, you can’t judge the size of a bull by his track or his bugle.

I have heard powerful bugled come from raghorns and I have heard wimpy half assed bugles come from mature bulls.

LC