View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I have used an IceGator once before and was astounded at the performance. The only downside I would suggest is the battery replacement. On the Ion, a guy can swap out a battery in seconds. Not so fast on the gator.

The gator may be faster, but the edge goes to Ion for the quick battery changes.

I am seriously considering one of these, mainly to remove gasoline from the equation. Over the course of 5 years, the price in gasoline will amount to the cost of several spare batteries.
I did get spare batteries for my Gator and all it takes is to unscrew two long thumbscrews to change out but the Ion is still faster. However, I can just go down to any battery shop and pick up some standard UPS batteries to replace the ones in the Gator which is very convenient.

That video comparison is pretty good, be nice to see the comparison with the same blade though. My Gator does cut through the ice just as fast as the video though.

Don't understand how people think that the gas augers are more reliable though. I have seen and heard people numerous times on the ice trying to start their augers in non extreme temperatures. Usually by the time they start it, I'm done my third hole. A electric is much simpler than a gas motor, it is just basically an electric motor attached to a chain and gear.