View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM

My first walleye rod was a Loomis GL2 with a Shimano CI4 2500 attached. Went fishing to Slave last June with a bunch of seasoned walleye fishermen. I caught my first walleye on that trip.

A member of this forum whose name I won't mention (sns2), fished with me in my boat. I was having lots of bites plus was landing lots of fish. The other guy in the boat (sns2) was not faring nearly as well. Then, we switched rods. Immediately, he began getting bites and landing fish but I was much less successful.

The fact of the matter is that with his El Cheapo rod, it was difficult to feel the light bites due to the insensitivity of his rod. With the GL2, both of us could detect the tap tap tap of walleyes.

This spring, I ordered a Loomis WJR 751S GLX from TFH. I plan on attaching a Shimano Sustain 1000 reel to it. It has increased sensitivity over my GL2 and I look forward to fishing with it. If sns2 plays his card right, I MIGHT consider allowing him to fish with my GL2 when we're out catching walleye together. Provided he ensures I catch more walleye than he does.

Bobby B.