View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:57 PM

Watched the video a couple times and am a bit torn up about it.

On the one hand, they own that mistakes were made and they outline what they should have done better to avoid the situation. Good on them.

On the other hand, they REALLY hype up the social media aspect of it. Look no further than the “WE ALMOST DIED” embossed on the teaser picture as well as the drooling reverences for the sidearm that eventually dispatched the bear. This video is click-bait on steroids, and they know it.

In my opinion, these are elite hunters that are pushing hard to promote their hunting for gain more than the trophy and meat itself. When likes, views and subscriptions to their channel translate to dollar bills, temptation and mistakes are more easily committed.

Also, I think it is tasteless and crass to show minutes of video of a severely wounded bear. As a hunter, it pains me to see such long suffering. Not that I have never lost a wounded animal, but posting such a length of video on a public platform is off-putting and a stain on the hunting community to sell this as humility and lesson-learning.

The fact that the video is so polarizing will play to their advantage in terms of views. But in terms of promotion of our sport in the eyes of the public, it is a definite negative. No matter how much hand-wringing humility is shown.