View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Default My Dec 3 2016 Bull Elk Hunt

We went on my Suffield Antlered Elk hunt on Monday Dec 5 2016. Although we had access until Wednesday, our strategy was to not mess around and shoot the first legal beast we saw and head home.

The briefing started at 645 am in Ralston at the community centre- turn north off the #1 highway on 884 and there are large signs that you can't miss. About 120 hunters and helpers attended. Sign in was a breeze. Just make sure you fill this out

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...dElk-2016B.pdf

for each hunter and helper and have your POL/PAL, WIN card, hunting license, and your tags (in case they ask which they likely won’t if you have them). DON’T FORGET YOUR BRIGHT ORANGE OR RED VEST OR JACKET – YOU REALLY NEED IT OUT THERE. The staff tells you everything you need to know and they give you an excellent map. There is lots of friendly staff to answer your questions so go early to the briefing, like maybe 6:15 am. They also hold a sub-draw before the briefing for accesses to the National Wildlife Area (NWA) preserve but you need a hand held GPS to enter the draw (not a cell phone, a real GPS like a Garmin). Everyone that entered the draw 'won' the day I was there. I did not enter the draw. I understand it entails a fair bit of walking so you need a wagon or sled if you are successful. I like to stay close to the warm truck.

We got out of the briefing at about 730 am and drove to the NE area of the base where we talked to a range patrol guy who told us he had just seen a small heard a little north and on the west side of the road. We started driving north looking on the left and then one of my helpers spotted a MASSIVE herd of about 1000 elk on the east side of the road. We thought it was just dark brush until the brush started moving! I could not process what my eyes were seeing.

We drove around to the east of the herd (good thing there are roads leading everywhere) and I jumped out and began a stalk of about 500 yards to a sub-herd of about 60 that was slightly split from the main herd. I approached with the sun at my back and the wind in my face. Perfect. I got about 205 yards from the smaller herd and spotted a few shooters and one large 4 point that I decided on but he was surrounded by cows that would not move. I laid there waiting for a shot and even considered taking a head shot. After about 20 minutes another truck approached on the north and spooked the small heard towards the large herd. No luck. Back to the truck.

As we were discussing our next move about 6 trucks arrived to the west of the herd and a few more to the north …. and then many orange jackets started to approach the herd from the west and the north. We were the only truck on the east side but wouldn’t be for long. We figured the orange people would push the herd south so we started driving south hoping the herd would run into us. We stopped a few kilometers south and heard the shots from the north. Sure enough, after a while here comes about a 1 km long herd of perhaps 1000 Elk on the run – RIGHT AT US.

I was laying in the field a few yards from the road with an excellent rest watching the herd through the scope. The sound and site of that thundering herd approaching would rattle even the most seasoned chuck wagon driver. I was more than a little excited, so trying to get a bead on any one bull seemed almost impossible. I was starting to panic. They split about 150 yards in front of the truck and lucky for me a 12 inch 2 point decided to take a rest with no cow cover. I made my shot, he went another 50 yards and laid down. So lucky. The others scattered. We were surrounded by elk. Terrifying. About a third of the herd turned back north, a third went east, and the rest kept going south. Dust and snot everywhere. 9:55 am.

We drove up to my elk and went to work. Home in Calgary by 4 pm. Tenderloin on the BBQ at 5 pm.

Totally unbelievably fun day. We are so fortunate to have this opportunity in Alberta. Some day we won't, so put this on your list of things to do. The Canadian Forces personnel that run the base will make you very proud. Outstanding individuals.

I had heard most of the crazy stories about Suffield but what I witnessed firsthand this week was everyone behaving. I saw nothing that would prevent me from going back for my daughter’s 2 cow tags later this January. The base is much larger than I thought and it was very strange to drive 100 or so kilometers and not see a fence.

I hope this story helps someone else to enjoy Suffield. To those of you reading this that want to comment that it is not a ‘real’ hunt, please keep those and other negative comments to yourself. I do understand your point of view and your decision not to participate. Fine by me.

We had a blast!!