View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 02:37 PM

Thumbs up Well Done! Keep it going..

I was out there last week, things have changed since last year, for the better (even though we didn't pull any off this year)..

A couple things I didn't notice until we were there that should be noted. As mentioned.. If you want to enter the draw for the NWA or EPG you MUST have a kit that includes 24 hours of food and water, handheld GPS and a phone (not a phone with a GPS).. you also need a drag of some sort to get your game out.

You also MUST wear blaze orange or red on the base.. It is NOT an option.

We all heard stories about last year (I lived it) this year was great.. We left the briefing and it was calm.. No one speeding up the highway or people passing like fools.. We stopped with others at the Canex before going to the gate as an example of how relaxed it was.

I think people are starting to realize that it's not about getting there first, it's not that important. I've witnessed a herd disappear over a hilltop and reappear in a moments notice, about as long as it would take for the guy in front of me to drive past..

While we were there, there was one NWA area that the opened for all to access without the GPS and other requirements.. It was the area more centrally located on the base. This areas restrictions are simple in that you simply must NOT drive on it. You must stay on the main road (only one that passes through the middle north/south). You can not use your truck to pull your game out. We were told that if anyone was caught going in there with a truck they would remove the privilege.. so please pay attention.

While we were there we saw thousands of Antelope (I think they have a problem with those..) hundreds of Mule Deer (one nice buck chased some doe's right almost across the hood of our truck) and some really nice HUGE Bull Elk, at one time we had 3 running along side us, probably at 50 yards (would only happen because we had cow tags)..

Anyhow.. we got skunked, I was told there was a heard of 2000 in the NWA in the NE corner moving west but we left Friday night.. Probably arrived on the base on Saturday.. LOL

It was cool anyhow.. Not the 45 minutes like we spent last year..

It was suggested that next year they may streamline the briefing in the morning so those that are there n the second/third day can get in and out faster. not that it REALLY matters as if you get out early you just find yourself waiting for legal light..

Hats off to those that org this on the base as they really listened and made changes that have made a huge difference.. Even the NWA draw that happens after the briefing helps by spreading out the traffic leaving all at once.

They also have a salvage list for any wounded that you can put your name on. It's located where you sign up for the NWA and EPG draws.. I was top of the list but got no call which is good news really..

On Edit - it appeared that the form we filled out onsite in Ralston at the theatre was different than the one we had last year that I had printed off the web. It may be a waste of time filling out in advance.. Maybe someone can confirm but I'm pretty sure as the guy at one of the 4 stations filled it out mostly on his own and we just signed and initialed.

You are allowed to have as many people with you that can fit in the truck.. Seatbelt for each person. If you are going in the NWA that has the kit requirements then those will apply for each person with the exception of the GPS I assume UNLESS you are splitting up then one GPS per group..

Anyhow.. That's my brain dump/debrief for the year.. I hope everyone that follows continues the trend.

Last edited by DMZ; 12-12-2016 at 03:07 PM.