View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Make your own

Last year I made my own electric meat grinder/sausage maker. Took an old hand crank one that I purchased at a yard sale for $2 went down to the local appliance repair shop and grabbed an old washer. Repair guy said you take any of them that have been dropped off over the weekend and as long as you do not bring it back take it apart. Had an old metal table with 2 shelves and bolted the washer engine to the bottom shelve and clamped the meat grinder to the top shelve. Used the pully from the old washer to put on the meat grinder and measured the distance around the engine and the pulley and went to Canadian tire and bought a belt to match.

Those old hand meat grinders are made to last (hard metal) and a washer engine is lots of power for a meat grinder. Went through about 75 pound of elk meat in about 30 mintues and worked great for sausage press. If you want pictures I can send them to you. Does not look fancy but does the trick and only cost about $20 for all the parts and only took be about 1 hour to build.

Good luck!!!