View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Actually we used to shoot a winter series out at the Namaka range (south of Strathmore). Winter in Strathmore might be a lot of things but "fair-weather" it is not. These matches were for score on Hunter targets and best scores were usually in the 250-20x range with varmint class rifles. The cold weather was certainly a challenge.
As we all know, in Alberta, cold weather isn't limited to the traditional winter months and I recall one match in late June where snow and cold temperatures had all the visitors (including me) running in to the Co-Op to try and buy cold weather clothing. On the second day, weather was more seasonal; again, typical for Alberta. On another occasion, in early May, a friend and I left Kamloops with temperatures in the low eighties and arrived in Strathmore to shoot in blowing snow. So, benchresters do shoot in poor weather too.
The same is true of "F" class. Though the matches were held in August, the Alberta Provincials are occasionally fired in wet snow.
As I said before, with any decent BR rifle the exercise is without much meaning because the rifle HAS to shoot better than that. With many of the "F" class rifles though it may be a real challenge; especially since many have seldom been shot at 100M. In fact, I have some rifles which are not really competitive any more (things have gotten tougher in "F" class) which I'm not sure will do it. I have a 308 built on a Model 70 which I'll give a try some time this week. If I can do it with this rifle, I'll consider it to be a triumph. If I couldn't do it with my best "F" class rifle or either of my short range BR rifles, I would lay the rifle in the road and drive over it with the truck! Leeper