View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 11:30 PM

Default Skip the ice, let’s go bill fishing.

Well works all done for another fortnight. While I was away the wife called and said the garage smelled like a dead fish. Cold fear coursed through me and I asked her if my bait freezer was cold. Nope, it got unplugged and thawed out. I was upset because I lost a few hundred brined and packaged baitfish, tuna and mahi belly flaps. She was upset because the garage smelled bad. The smell went away but I’m short on bait now and have some work ahead of me to get caught up.

Then Tuesday before I came home the wife sent me a pic and told me I should of been fishing.

Of course I came home the next day to a 3 meter swell.

Tomorrow looks good however so I took the kids and we got some bait this morning which will rest in a snotty ice/salt/bicarb brine overnight. A nice mix of mullet, 2x3 gar and gar. They’re on the small side but they’ll work. The pic sucks but there are 50+ gar in there and about a dozen mullet.

I split tailed a few mullet to swim and also rigged a few up for skip baits under chuggers to run off the riggers. The back half of the fish is split with the tail split in half so each fillet has a “tail” on it. The backbone is removed and they swim like Michael Phelps.

I also turned my boat fenders into teasers. I did some reading and Fred Archer used to swear they raised fish like a tractor beam. I only rigged one but painted both incase one gets ventilated by a bill. It’ll swim and dive behind the boat opposite the daisy chained beer can chuggers and behind the dredge.

Now to go out and see if the fish are still around. There was a tourney about two hours south last weekend and they posted some great numbers.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 01-21-2021 at 11:40 PM.