View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Maybe it is because I have never used anything else but I feel the shortcomings are the rubber gaskets/orings between each connection, it also is how the jaws clamp.
I have the same O-rings on my vise that it came with 10+ years ago. I tie 500+ flies a year.

Quote:
I find when I attempt to use the rotation feature of the vise it simply unscrews instead of rotating, and if I tighten if more then it wont rotate at all.
The Blackfoot Mongoose has no problem with rotation (I use this feature whenever wrapping dubbing loops, ribbing, hackle, etc.)

Quote:
The same issue when tying flies, I have had some hook rotate in the jaws no matter how tight it is. I was actually looking at the Griffin Odyssey same nice narrow profile that fits in my bag well and solves the issues I have with the entry level one.
I don't have a cam-operated model but I the jaws hold all flies I have tied very securely. I find that occasionally backing off the lower knob until the jaws are once again parallel before tightening the upper knob helps with holding power. This model is as narrow in profile as any of the Griffin models. Comes in about $60 US below the Odyssey.