View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Here is some feedback if anyone is interested.
Of course, I will give you the disclaimer that this is in my rifle and I will not be using it in my other one without working up. If you choose to use this data, you should do the same.
243 Winchester, with 80 gr TTSX, Coal. 2.61 inches, federal 210 primers, Winchester, brass, and h4350
I started at 40.5 gn and got 3023 ft./s. I carefully worked my way up to 45.7 grains with no pressure signs. The speed there was 3446.4 ft./s. Probably I will be using 45 grains as it looks like a promising node.
Brass dosen't generally show signs of over pressure till about 70,000+ /psi which is way over pressure. Velocity above what book maximums show is a sign of overpressure. Most of us without pressure testing equipment cannot tell what pressure value we are dealing with as we have no way to test for it. The best measure of pressure most shooters have available to them is velocity, if we are getting higher velocity than the books show with their max loads or higher than max load we should pay attention to it. It is good that rifles have a safety threshold built into them and won't blow up with overcharges but because they may not blow up dosen't mean the rifle will not eventually show cumulative damage like lug setback and metal fatigue if overcharges are continually used over time.