View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
the rest of utah not on draw does like alberta with sheep. lots of immature animals taken with few exceptions. my first ram is from the wilmore. 7 1/2 years old with 15 and a half inch bases and has lamb tips. he's legal by an inch and a half. there were 16 guys that i know of camped within 3 miles of where he died. if i hadn't shot him someone else sure would have. as for increasing the age of rams harvested, well.......that's kinda the point of this whole thread. a draw would limit hunting pressure which would allow more rams to grow to older age classes resulting in larger horns. it seems everyone agrees that would be great, but the difference is where to do it. honestly i dont give a crap if its a north/south divide or what, but please mr government guys....just do it somewhere. the places where they are on a draw in alberta now produce big rams. i would love to see it happen in more of the province. right now its very long odds to get a cadomin tag or the grande cache mine, but if you do you get a great hunting opportunity. i think most of us would like to have that chance at least once in our lives. i am applying religiously for those mine tags, but at 38 i don't know if i will live long enough.
sheepguide, i'm not sure what the heck your stance is. you seem to want more mature rams on the mountain and quote all kinds of numbers from this area and that area. if its not a draw to limit rams being killed, then what do you want? everyone hunt like now, but noone shoot anything? or is the draw ok....just not where you hunt? i dont mean to be argumentative, i just don't really understand what it is you are wishing for.
Im pro draw or more years between getting rams. I dont believe that people need a ram every couple years( I met a guy that has 5 rams all killed 2 years apart and all just legal. I dont get the point).
People cry because they say they wont get to hunt sheep if you can only kill one every 5 years or so. If this is the problem then get a camera and keep hunting.

But to just put part of our now open zones on draw will really hurt the zones that are general season.
Be just like when they closed the south ram for atv hunting. Most of them atv sheep hunters now hunt the hummingbird increasing the pressure by at least 2x.
I also dont beleive that the zones with 8 non resident tags should have this many. I feel 4 is plenty.

SG