Thread: Asian Carp
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Four years ago I was damage control trapping Beaver in Red Deer but this was a pond about two hundred meters from the river , My trap was a 10 inch body grip rotating jaw about three ft under water along the bank , I checked it every morning for five days and it never appeared to have been fired , so the last day I pulled the set and much to my surprise I had a fish in the jaws ! It was still alive as it was caught by the tail only , It did not appear like any I recognized so I took a picture and sent it to a biologist , They called t a Prussian Carp . So I assume this fish had came into the pond with flood waters , subsequent to this a year later I saw one in the creek near bower ponds , so according to the F&W they are here to stay ! And yesterday again I saw a partially eaten one on a Beaver house in the same creek .
You’re referring to Prussian Carp, a smaller species of Carp which have been in Alberta for almost a decade. They have naturalized and are indeed here to stay.

The article is in reference to Silver Carp and Bighead Carp. They grow much bigger and are the ones that leap out of the water at the noise of boat motors. As indicated in the article, they ARE already in the Great Lakes. They were being kept out of the Great Lakes from the Mississippi by an electric barrier. There was a power outage and they then entered Lake Michigan and are now in the Lakes

I’m shocked that theres been no human fatalities from the jumping Carp. Some of the videos are pretty gruesome, 20+ pounds flying at your head..