View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Sigh, your right....

My delivery must suck. And I sincerely apologize for that. Cause I still think ya missed the point.... at least the main ones.

When new anything is introduced.... 'new norms' need to be created (i think i wrote something bout that).

I have just as big a right as anyone else to write down...'what I think you're doing is wrong' and why. Then defend it. I tried to do that. Some have agreed with me and some have not.

'Mind your own business' dosen't cut it. 'Ethics are personal' dosen't cut it as well.. sorry...

I poached this from mrGoogle

"Ethics poses questions about how we ought to act in relationships and how we should live with one another. Ethics asks us to consider whether our actions are right or wrong. It also asks us how those character traits that help humans flourish (such as integrity, honesty, faithfulness, and compassion) play out in everyday living.

Ethical norms and principles have developed over time and across cultures as rational people of goodwill consider human relationships and how human beings act when they are at their best. "

In Canada... we play this game to determine ethical standpoints for our community : "what is demonstrably reasonable in a just and democratic society" (Charter sec.1)... or that which has a law about it.

Your actions (in this case your shot) can affect me and everyone else. How? You blow the shot, You pin cushion a deer, the landowner gets mad, he kicks everyone off the parcel cause he's sick of seeing stuck critters roaming around (yup.. I've had it happen to me, someone else did it, i lose out anyway... and it might happen to you)...

So the ethical test goes like this:

1. Is it demonstrably reasonable for everyone to shoot as far as they want? So far yup....I guess is it ok, there's no law against it... until one can demonstrate that this is bad. I think it stands a pretty good chance of having it turn out that way soon if we have magazines saying that hunters usually do this. And so many guys piping up about 'yup, no prob, I'm THAT good, its not that hard'. As I said before... these people are more then likely the minority.

2. If one can demonstrate that it isn't reasonable, then one of two things can happen A) we decide to control our own behavior, or B) the good ole government steps in and regulates the behaviour.. boy... I love it when that happens.. not!

(as an aside..... years ago I 'ranted' here about how I felt about quads and how their being used... well I got told to 'mind your own business'. I predicted that the gov't would eventually step in... and what does that look like... we as an outdoor community lost a chance to prevent regulation by establishing 'unwritten rules' ourselves). I hate gov't social engineering, I'd rather we as a community figure it out ourselves.

A large part of establishing those norms is to discuss them. Perhaps consider the ideas, and then agree to adjust our behavior. We are so caught up in our need to lone wolf it that we're just begging the gov't to step in when newbies to the sport get the wrong impression.

At least please stress how friggin long its taken you to get that accurate!

yup... I ranted... I'm human.... so sue me.... it happens. I hope to be a politically correct as you some day.....geeze!

and here we have people basically saying 'shut up, to each his own, its fine, leave it be'............. no its not.

very done with this thread.

ps... ethics do change over time...

smoking
spanking
sex
shooting