Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
Kurt 505: Are you saying the treaties should be revisited to negotiate the removal status Indian's hunting rights and limited tax free status? If so, what do you think would be fair for Canada to offer the Indians for giving up those rights?
Would I like them revisited? You bet!

Would I like to see their hunting rights taken away? Not under new treaty agreement. Only if abuse is found. I would like to see mandatory destruction of any trophy attributes, and mandatory harvest registration of all animals taken under all sustenance harvest rights. Also I would like to see an application for sustenance right where by it is shown the need to hunt for sustenance before a license is granted.

My suggestion to limit tax funded amenities and programs to those who pay taxes was in response to the suggestion that treaty Indians lobby to take away hunting privileges to non Indian Canadians. Why is there a need in today's society for government welfare, plus tax exemption, plus unlimited hunting rights, plus subsidized housing, et al. I am no better nor am I any more capable than any treaty Indian, yet I survive. I have a roof over my head, cloths on my back, and food on my table. I am born and bred Canadian, so is my father, so is my grand father, so are my sons. We have and will all work and pay taxes and survive without special privileges.

There is no reason, at least no sensible reason for the treaty agreements not to be updated. Are Indians incapable of survival without government funding or unlimited access to wild game in today's society?

I DON'T THINK SO, others may not agree.