Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
techincally the true natives came across from euroasia

Neolithic" is not generally used to describe indigenous cultures in the Americas, see Archaeology of the Americas.

The usual theory of the settlement of the Americas is that earliest ancestors of the peoples of the Americas came from Eurasia over a land bridge which connected the two continents across what is now the Bering Strait during a period of glaciation, when the sea water level was lower. The number and nature of these migrations is uncertain but the land bridge is believed to have existed only until about 12,000 years ago, when the land bridge was flooded.[13][14][15]

Three major migrations occurred, as traced by linguistic and genetic data; the early Paleoamericans soon spread throughout the Americas, diversifying into many hundreds of culturally distinct nations and tribes.[16][17] By 8000 BCE the North American climate was very similar to today's.[18]

The Clovis culture, a megafauna hunting culture of about 11,000 B.P., ranged over much of North America and also appeared in South America has been identified by the distinctive Clovis point. Dating of Clovis materials has been by association with animal bones and by the use of carbon dating methods.

Numerous Paleoindian cultures occupied North America. According to their oral histories they have been living on this continent since their genesis, described by a wide range of traditional creation stories. However, genetic and linguistic data connect the indigenous people of this continent with ancient northeast Asians.

A Folsom point for a spear.The Folsom Tradition was characterized by use of Folsom points as projectile tips, and data from kill sites, where slaughter and butchering of bison took place. Folsom tools were left behind between 9000 BCE and 8000 BCE.[19]

Na-Dené-speaking people's entered North America starting around 8000 BCE, reaching the Pacific Northwest by 5000 BCE,[20] and from there migrating along the Pacific Coast and into the interior. It is believed that their ancestors comprised a separate migration into North America, later than the first Paleo-Indians. They migrated into Alaska and northern Canada, south along the Pacific Coast, into the interior of Canada, and south to the Great Plains and the American Southwest. They were the earliest ancestors of the Athabascan- speaking peoples, including the present-day and historical Navajo and Apache.
I just went to this thread. When I clicked on the title, `status natives` I clicked against my better judgement! Meaning that this whole status native, treaty rights topic is just soooooo fraught. And as we all do, I hold my own opinions on this matter. I`m white, 1st gen Canadian, and am generally on the side of treaty honoring.

Anyway, I had to comment on this anthropological post. Because `science`has been used for political reasons and to justify certain cultural beliefs since time began. But it doesn`t make it true!

This whole business of attempting to prove when exactly native people came to North America, IMO it has a certain agenda of eroding the native claim to the land as a homeland. No one knows when any group did what thousands of years ago!
I recently read a book called In the wake of the Jamon. In it the author recounts HIS KAYAK trip from JAPAN to ALASKA. He did this two year trip to prove that the Jamon people, who occupied Japan over 20,000 to 40,000 years ago, didn`t need a land bridge to get to America. This land bridge `fact`is a political tool, and nothing more.

IN my opinion.