View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
To be fair to whoever this law enforcement officer was that approached a complete stranger with a gun drawn of his own. Should the officer be less prepared by being holstered if this stranger holding a gun turns out to be dangerous and uses the rifle as a weapon? Sounds like the situation of shooting at the gravel ended with no one getting hurt and everyone carrying on. So drawing his firearm and giving commands worked perfectly.

What if that gravel shooter with a rifle was prohibited from firearms and he was testing a firearm that he just obtained illegally. Certain people being caught with a firearm could go directly to prison for years, and may shoot instead of being arrested. He may even feign cooperation as a law enforcement officer came closer. Someone involved in criminal behavior in possession of a firearm looks pretty much exactly the same as a legal firearms owner. Its not until the conversation and actions afterwards that gives better light on what type of person it is.
You know what? If he was seriously that concerned, he should have called in the RCMP. That would be SOP. F&W usually deals with fish and wildlife matters, not crack heads or common criminals. Can we please keep this thread on course? If you want to start a thread on when LEOs should or shouldn't unholster, go ahead. It was my mistake to make a comment on someone else's situation... my bad... I derailed my own thread.

I started this thread because I have a buddy who's POL expired many, many years ago, and he is absolutely not concerned about it. He even went as far as to take both his PAL and RPAL course a few years ago, but won't send the application in. That's wrong and that's illegal of course. However, since 1995 when all of the PAL /POL / registration crap started, I have heard of a lot of threats by government, but I honestly don't know anyone who has ever been asked for their license, other than to purchase, or asked for registrations papers, restricted or non-restricted when that was in place. I just want him to know what risk he is taking for a paperwork crime.

So I do know that people are asked for their licenses, despite me personally never been asked even while possessing firearms in front of LEOs. Thanks for those who answered and PM'd me.