View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
To be fair to whoever this law enforcement officer was that approached a complete stranger with a gun drawn of his own. Should the officer be less prepared by being holstered if this stranger holding a gun turns out to be dangerous and uses the rifle as a weapon? Sounds like the situation of shooting at the gravel ended with no one getting hurt and everyone carrying on. So drawing his firearm and giving commands worked perfectly.

What if that gravel shooter with a rifle was prohibited from firearms and he was testing a firearm that he just obtained illegally. Certain people being caught with a firearm could go directly to prison for years, and may shoot instead of being arrested. He may even feign cooperation as a law enforcement officer came closer. Someone involved in criminal behavior in possession of a firearm looks pretty much exactly the same as a legal firearms owner. Its not until the conversation and actions afterwards that gives better light on what type of person it is.
Things sure have changed.

I remember some 25 or so years ago a fish cop came into our hunt camp at about 10 at night. We had been drinking, with the rifles either leaning against a tree out of reach, or in the tents/campers.

He came in, no shot gun (they were not carrying sidearms at that time), just approached us, friendly, kibitzed with us a bit, asked about what we saw or if anyone shot anything, and that was it before he drove off.

Think about it. Alberta's fish cops were out in the bush without sidearms for almost 100 years, and as far as I am aware, never was there an incidence with firearms. Since they got sidearms, I still am not aware of any incidents.

We are hunters. We are not some gangbangers in the inner city. Treat us as such, and don't bring the attitude that many USA LEOs seem to have. We're all on the same side.