View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 04:14 PM

I think I'd lean toward bear too if I saw that on any of mine. Startled bear case, bear attacked, wounded the calf, then fled.. (then) birds aggravated the wound thereafter.

I came across a bull once a couple years back with claw-marks high on his rear on one-side, then more marks down low on his opposite side. In that bulls case, the pasture he was at is heavily wooded, had 120 pairs grazing it, and likely he was cruising someplace thick on the pasture looking for cows & startled a sow with cubs, (so she charged & jumped him briefly for it)

2000lb bull is lots tougher than a little 175lb calf, so I can see an obvious wound opening on soft calf-hide in an event like that pretty easy.. and birds pestering it afterward.

My opinion by experience is that coyotes tear the *****holes out before opening an animal on a flank or loin.. they go for the stomach & guts even before meat or bone. So I doubt that that's a coyote job, maybe, but I'd lean otherwise sooner. Wolf too, if there were wolves making trouble you'd see legs and tendons torn up on quite a few animals flagging the situation as wolf.

Dogs. I couldn't comment.