View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 02:40 PM

I feel your pain. About three weeks ago I was taking the wife fishing. Dropped the kids at my moms and then headed for sylvan. This involved about 2km of gravel. I didn’t have the cover on the boat. Looked back and saw glass falling off the side onto the road. Looked up and saw this.

I cleaned all the glass up and put the boat in the lake. The wife out fished me as per usual, not in numbers as we caught a ton of walleye but she managed to land this old girl at 16lbs

I started looking for glass when I got home. Long story short Taylor made was close to $2k plus shipping and duty from the states and 10+ weeks. Two Alberta dealerships said they couldn’t find one. Virden recreation in Manitoba could get me one for $1600 plus shipping and 10+ weeks.

I thought about putting it through insurance but didn’t/don’t want to.

In the end I went to Home Depot and bought a 3’x3’ piece of Lexan that says it’s good for 10 years with no hazing for $153. Took it home and traced the other window with a piece of wrapping paper. Transferred it to my lexan and cut it with a grinder. Test fit and trimmed it a few times then installed her.
All up it took me about 2 hours. The lexan made the bend without issue, no heat required. It’s as sturdy as my other windshield and so far there are no scratches and it’s as clear as the day I installed it.

Now I travel with the snap on cover. It sucks putting it on and taking it off but it’ll save the other two pieces of my windshield.
This winter I might build a plastic cover that snaps top and bottom over the glass. I just have to find the right plastic. So far all I’ve seen is corogated stuff for patios. If I can build that it’ll be quick and easy to protect the windshield without spending 10 min putting a cover on the boat.