View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

I've traveled around the world and back a couple of times. It's hit and miss as far as how you are treated in the same airport in the same country. I don't think that our security pers are any better or worse than anywhere else. They're pretty much the same as everywhere else that I've gone to. In fact, in some countries that I've gone to there will be a customs person there during the security screening in order to give someone immediate attention if required. In Frankfort the police are carrying submachine guns at the ready across their chest.

All of these people are trained a certain way for a reason. You might find it rude that they are not friendly or polite but that could be enough to flush a no-gooder out who is already nervous. That's why it's designed that way. I'm exMilitary so I understand when some young customs officer is drilling me to see if I'll crack and I don't take offence to him doing it. I could understand why an average person might think that the same guy is rude and arrogant though.

So, to answer the question, I have never had a bad experience with either security or customs in an airport but I understand the system and don't get worked up too much. For the most part, Canadian staff are pretty good.