View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanechar View Post
I'm going on a moose hunting trip tomorrow and while cleaning my Hawken .50 cal muzzle loader I blocked the barrel. The brass cap came off the cleaning rod (wooden one that fits on the barrel) and left me with the brass rod cap, a cleaning jag, and cloth stuck in the barrel.
I took it to a store in Calgary but they could not remove it. Any ideas or gun smiths experienced in muzzloaders that I could take it to today? I live just south of Calgary. Appreciate any help I can get.
Here's what I did when Ii stuck mine when I was in the bush 30 years ago.
try taking the breech plug out and push it through, then lock tite the plug back in.
if you can't get the plug out, take the nipple off and dry the barrel out as well as you can.
Then prime the flash hole with as mush powder as you can and out the nipple back on, then fire the gun against a cardboard box stuffed with rags.
That is about the only way Ii know to get it out.
When you do get it out , expoy the tip on, and pin it with a bit of brazing rod.
The danged things are normally installed at the factory with white glue which breaks down in water!!!
Cat