View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM

So a budget was formed, cabinets ordered, and we got busy. Our existing kitchen was ok I suppose, but certainly dated. Our main bath was in the same shape. Ripping out the cabinets was the easy part. It took just about 4 days for me and a friend to rip up my existing floor. We had 3 layers of different kinds of lino, and then particle board fastened by several thousand staples and framing nails. That floor was pure evil.

We got it stripped down to the T&G planking and then put down new subfloor and tiled. As we did this, It was apparent that electrical work was needed big-time.

So I put a call out to AO members, and kmacisaac was over at our place the next day. What started off as a simply moving some plugs turned into finding out that my dishwasher was hot wired to the 220v plug of my stove. And then we figured out that the OTR microwave was ALSO hot wired into my 220V stove outlet. Carney work for sure.

So a new sub-panel, new wiring, proper gfci outlets, and some new LED lights over our bay window and Kmacisaac has us set up wonderfully. Great guy!

Meanwhile, I was in a panic to get the proper plumbing fixtures for our bath, and I had cabertosser running all over the city for me looking for stuff, only to turn out that the lead times for the products were too long (this was a spur of the moment project) and we ended up finding some decent delta and moen fixtures at Home Depot. I still owe caber for his help on this.

Cabinets arrived and went in pretty smoothly even though my walls weren’t necessarily plumb and square. Appliances were purchased at Trail for very reasonable pricing. And backsplash tile went on and grouted.