View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Default 7mm-08 Bullet/Powder Selection

Hi all,

I have a 7mm-08 and started reloading a couple years ago with my prior rifle which was a 30-06.I was using IMR4350 and had excellent results (sub MOA) with 165 Accubonds.

Jump into my 7mm-08 and after, 120gr NBT, 140gr NBT, 140gr NAB, & 140gr Sierra Pro-hunters, all with various loads I cant get this thing to shoot under 2" with IMR4350 except with some 100gr Sierra HP (wanna see a gopher explode?) which are stacking with the 4350.

Bought some factory stuff that was ok but would rather reload. Also bought some Varget as many internet folks say they had good luck with their 708 loads. Looking for some recipes for Varget in 7mm08 140 grains...

Finally, bullets... As above, I have tried a couple and maybe I expect too much from this "smaller" gun. Or maybe I am a terrible shot. Either is possible. I hunt deer, elk and moose up to 300 yards. 1 bullet to "rule them all" would be my ideal.

- Accubonds come highly recommended but I have had terrible luck on deer with them. If I blow up a shoulder they seem ok but a clean lung shot seems to pinhole them and has led to some lost deer when the blood trail goes dry. Cant complain about them on elk, every one made it to the freezer. Pretty sure its the lower velocities of the 7mm08 just not letting them expand as much as I would like.

- Sierra Pro-Hunter & Nosler BT were also recommended but wow the meat damage is crazy, pen sized hole in and softball sized exit on deer with a clean hit, never mind a shoulder shot. I don't think I would want to use them on elk?

- I am considering Nosler Partitions. The theory seems sound, enter, explode 1/3, 2/3 of bullet penetrates through. I see this as a more "forgiving" round, where a lung shot will explode the lungs and go in and out and a shoulder shot will shotgun bone through the vitals. Both scenarios offer a quick drop, maybe not enough for a large bull elk shoulder but maybe?

What other bullets could you all recommend for an all around med/large game bullet in a 7mm08?