View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
I am under the impression that it is even frowned upon to have your dogs with you at your hunt camp...is this correct? I really do not have any reason to have my dog with me while actually "hunting"..... but to have them there during the night or down time, or while skinning etc. to be an extra couple of eyes and ears...that, I would enjoy.

Edit: I have also heard cautionary tales about having your dog in the truck with you while driving to and from a hunting spot....true or not true??
frowned upon, yes, mostly because its impossible for the CO to know that 100% the dog is to stay at camp 100% of the time and not go with you hunting. And as most hunting camps, you can shoot right from the camp, and if the dog is outside the camp, you can possibly be breaking the law.
If there is someone at camp that doesnt hunt big game, and when the CO comes, you say its their dog, then less of a hassle.
I have had people with dogs visit hunting camp, with no issues; but each CO are different and no telling which one will give you a hard time.

If you have the dog in the truck, then that gun must be encased; if the gun is out of its case, like we all do when driving from spot to spot, then you are technically hunting and the dog cannot be with you (for big game)

Go to Ontario , for most WMUs your dog can go with you, you would have to get a "dog license" that cost about $11; i dont think your dog has to be professionally trained, but would have to verify