View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM

When I was posted/living in Germany I hunted with locals who Always took their dogs out big game hunting (if you can call a Roe Buck big game). Blood tracking/trailing was the main purpose, but some dog specialzed in boar. The dogs utiziled were varied, bloodhounds(tracking) and terriers(boar) were a given, but versatile hunting dogs such as German Shorthairs and Wirehairs were also popular.

I was lucky enough to train some dogs over there and when the Army posted me back to Canada, Ontario, I worked at getting the Ontario F&W people to allow me to use my dog (I brought a Wirehair back with me) for big game blood tracking. I had to prove/test my dog to various F&W officials, but eventually I was allowed to use my dog on blood tracks. She received a special license, was called out by F&W for a number of tracks (even had a poaching conviction credited to her) and partook in the CFB Borden annual deer hunt/cull.

No regulations were changed at the time, however I believe that a few of the fellows I trained with did manage to get the regulations changed in New York to allow blood tracking and as companion dogs afield for big game hunts.

Taking dogs afield is very positive, they can be utilized in many ways to assit hunters. Dogs naturally need to be well trained/behaved, and the owners need to know the dogs abilities and handle them apropriately.
Good luck to any who are attempting to change our regulations so that dogs can accompany us afield.