View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Okay, here is one idea that won't cost anglers who already pay WIN card fees and angling licence fees and taxes. How about open some of these lakes for a walleye limit of 1 per day for a certain time period; say a couple of months out of the season. Way less administration costs and no more money burden and inconvenience for the angler. I'm sure SRD will say the tag fees are to cover administration costs anyways.

As far as SRD knowing the harvest numbers, they do their test netting anyways regardless of the system in place. If the test surveys show the harvest is too much or too little they could adjust the harvest period for the next year.

Sorry Penner, but I will bash the government every time they add costs on to my back when I am already paying ridiculous taxes and fees. Advocating less fees and taxes and bureaucratic administration costs is optimistic thinking, not pessimistic.
I fish Lac Lannone and Lac Ste Anne regularly and I know that there are tons of walleye in both lakes. The tag system has been coming for awhile now and we talked about it around the campfire on many occasions. Our conclusion was that they could never be opened up entirely because it would attract too many anglers that didn't regularly fish there and it would deplete the number of fish in the lake rather quickly. I'm not saying that they would get fished out but it'd be fished hard until people decided that they weren't catching enough fish in a day to make it worth their while to drive to them.

I don't welcome having to pay for a tag in order to keep a fish but I wouldn't want to see those lakes just open to regular fishing either. IMO some people would be like kids in a candy store. For me it's a choice of the lesser of two evils but I would like something like what you suggested.