View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
I don't buy that argument at all. This topic has been discussed on many other threads about Alberta's walleye management and it is viewed by many that walleye management in Alberta is a disaster. We have many lakes that have been closed to harvest and the walleye population has boomed to the point that the walleye are stunting and are even affecting the other species.

I can go to lakes such as Elinor, Slave, Moose, Long, Calling, Pigeon, Pinehurst, etc. and catch walleyes until my arms hurt. I fished Elinor Lake lots over 25 years ago and I will tell you the walleye fishing is way better now but the fish are smaller. If SRD chooses to only open a couple of lakes for limited harvest opportunities they are funneling all the pressure to those lakes. I say open the opportunities on a time managed basis and slot sizing to a much wider selection of lakes and the pressure will be spread out and a balance will be created that will be better for the lakes as well as allowing some harvest for us anglers. The harvest can still be managed on a time slot basis without implementing a bureaucratic and costly tag and draw nightmare.

This is my opinion and I am sure it will be criticized but if I don't offer alternate ideas I will be critisized as well if I disagree with the current management strategies.
Nope. It is great idea in my books. Your right that spreading out the pressure on a limited time basis could work. But, it does depend on the areas. The very busiest of lake then could have the shortest of seasons and maybe the toughest of regs. That way the argument for these lakes (e.g. Long Lake) getting fishing out would not happen. I'm all for it. When do we get started