View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I would disagree with this part of your post I have seen many many old mature rams broomed sub legal. Even have one broomed to 3/4 on a trail cam pic on my computer. The majority of full curl I have seen have been with lamb tips. I agree take old rams but full curl doesn't achieve this objective. I took a 9.5 yr old ram that was barely 4/5's and wasn't broomed, likly would never see full curl but a nice mature ram.
As for the 6 pt elk rule, I bet they have hundreds of big 5 pt now that will never be legal.

I really don't think we have a problem except gov tying to fix something that isn't broken. Full curl won't mean more opportuniy for a big ram it just means more rams will never have a chance of being harvested.
Thank you for bringing up the point that there would be an abundance of 5 point Bulls because that was one of the major arguments against the 6 point rule. This shift has never happened. There is simply more 6 point bulls, bigger Bulls and a larger population.

I believe the same thing will happen with sheep if we alow them to mature. Yes sheep will broom, but we are talking like all sheep will broom to the point where they never reach full curl. I've never seen s book ram at 4/5 curl. The majority of mature rams, if given the time, will reach full curl.

There is no dought that in the short term hunter success rate will decline as they did with the elk in SE B.C. But in a few years the success rates will return only we'll be killing bigger Rams.