View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
There is a reason browning says "Do not try to disassemble" these rifles. They are great rifles, but . . . Short answer to your question NO
Much Thanks 'ATR' ... Your advice is greatly appreciated. If someone with your experience & background says "No", then I'll have to abandon the idea of being able to dismantle a BLR.

For me, that's two 'negatives' against this rifle model ... the first 'negative' being the overly glossy stock. I'm of the school-of-thought that glossy stocks do not belong on hunting rifles ... just my lowly humble opinion.

I haven't abandoned the BLR idea just yet, but I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spartan View Post
According to the manual referenced, Browning recommends cleaning the barrel and the inside of the receiver as much as possible without disassembly.

I wound up getting the take-down PG version . . .
Thanks for the 'Heads-Up' John. I dropped by Russell's today and looked at their 'Take-Down' version of the BLR ( http://www.browning.com/products/cat...34&type_id=012 ). You're right ... the 'Take-Down' version offers a LOT more access to the internal workings and also allows for barrel cleaning from the proper end.

One concern though ... is the 'Take-Down' version as accurate? Most 'Take-Down' rifles change the bullet point of impact, each time they are disassembled and then reassembled. Any comments on that concern???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
I bought one in '73 and then gave it to an in-law who proceeded to just BEAT it into junk. He gave it back to me just before the mandatory registration date and it was FUBAR, just worthless.

I stripped off the cracked buttstock and cracked forestock, and then soaked the entire thing in naptha over-night. I then cleaned what appeared to be a ruined bore with Sweet's, then JB paste and finished with Shooter's Choice . . .
Thanks 'Kutenay' ... That's quite a good story, supporting the BLR. It has helped to keep my interest in that model.

Cheers,

Dean

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-30-2008 at 10:24 PM.