View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
My office charges $850.00 plus GST and Disbursements for the couple. This is NOT just for a Will, but the Enduring Power of Attorney and the Advance Directive. Death is the easy part. People rarely die quickly. I am more concerned about the spouse who has little knowledge or authority on financial matters having to do banking and business for a elderly or comatose, or worse senile, spouse who lingers for 6 months or more. That is what the Enduring Power of Attorney (sometimes called "Springing Power of Attorney") is for. the Advance Directive (sometimes called a "living will")lets someone make the "Do Not Resuscitate" decision when a spouse is dying. Otherwise, a "slow code" is mandated, sometimes lengthening the suffering by days or weeks.
This is all good and accurate advice from someone in the know. My office in Lethbridge charges slightly less at $800 plus disburesments and gst for these same documents including a "SIMPLE" will for each spouse. Occasionally a lawyer can make his/her hourly rate preparing Wills, EPAs and PDs, but usually these documents are a loss leader. There is often much to be discussed and explained in making the decisions related to preparing these documents.

Be prepared to pay more if your situation is not a fairly straightforward one. There is good reason for this. Proper planning takes time.

Here is a link to a blog article I wrote recently on this topic: http://www.stringam.ca/blog/2012/06/...state-planning

It might be worth a moment to read.

Holographic Wills are legal, though they are also easily screwed up. People who die with a holographic will may watch from heaven as their Will and apparent wishes are litigated by unhappy family members, eating up a portion of what could have otherwise been divided.

Will kits are another area which provides opportunity of great errors. I have never reviewed a full,kit, but I have reviewed some of the resulting Wills. It made for a good laugh for me, but could have led to great disappointment by others if I had not pointed out the errors and created accurate Wills which set forth the proper wishes of the Testator.

The cost of Will, EPA and PD is cheap insurance compared to the cost of litigating over an estate later. I recommend seeking proper advice for your situation. Hope this helps. Good luck.