Thread: Trail cam gone
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I have found that camera mounting straps are the number one cause of camera theft and camera damage.

Almost any option that replaces those straps will greatly reduce theft and damage.

If you think about it, those straps really look out of place, and they can be seen for a long ways, from any direction.

Lock boxes are better but suffer many of the same issues with regards to looking out of place as the straps do.

I've done considerable testing with mounting options, location selection and concealment options.

My recommendations are;

Forget about lock boxes except where camera discovery is almost guaranteed. There are better options in most places.

Think about where animals and people will most likely be looking while traveling where you want to place a camera, then try to place your camera where they are not likely to look, like above or below field of vision or twenty or more feet to one side of a trail or travel corridor.

Next, try to place the camera so that it appears to be nothing more then a growth on the chosen tree. Or perhaps a pile of forest debris at the base of a tree or stump.

Remember, if they don't see it, they won't steal it or chew on it.

George Bernard Shaw