View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Cal,

I've been building my own leaders for over 40 years. Originally it was money saving device - now it 'cause they just cast better.
Leaders should follow a couple of simple rules.
1) The butt section should be made of stiffer materials that the hinge & tippet.
2) Knots towards the line end should use barrel knots that will slide better through the guides.
3) knots towards the hinge/tippet use double surgeons knots.

The "typical" leader I use most trout work is 10' long and follows the following rules of 60% butt material, 20% hinge & 20% tippet. So it becomes 4' of 0.025", 2' of 0.018", 1' of 0.013, 0.010 & 2' of 0.008". The 25 & 21 are butt, hinge 13 & 10 with the tippet of 8.

After playing with various manufacturers products for many years, I now use Maxima Chameleon for the butt & hinge sections as it combines both the ability to be straightened readily and yet stiff enough to place the fly where you want it. The tippet is your choice. I've used most of the stuff out there and they all worked just fine. If you wish longer/lighter tippet just add it to the 0.008" section.

Some things to be considered:

1)How many leaders do you need? Tne butt section will last generally the life of the line.
2) I use a variety of lines for lake fishing. For that reason, I have have incorporated a leader loop of 0.025 @ the end of the line where leaders can be readily changed.
3) I use lake leaders of 10', 18' & 25' depending on what is fished.

A f for whatever it's worth - making your own leaders means you don't throw a lot of plastic packaging away.

So there ya' go - making your own is environmental friendly, costs less, works better - but it's not as convient.

Don