View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Back to back Uni Knots are my preffered method of line to line attatchments, is there any particular reason that I should be using blood knots and surgeon knots instead?
Knot strength,energy transfer between leader sections,compact/neatness of bloodknots.

1)Bloodknots retain something like 80% breaking strength.I use it for all my leader knots other than the finest of diameters/tippet etc.,where I use the slightly more efficient(90%) triple surgeon.I've read claims that the Uniknot when used to join sections of mono only retains 50% breaking strength?
2)the energy transfer between sections joined with Bloodknots is more efficient and more truly aligned then surgeon knots which tend to have a slight kink to them.FWIW,I typically tie 12' leaders for Atlantic salmon tapered from 30lb Chameleon down to 8lb tippet,and can "cast" these leaders straight to the tippet in the man cave using only my arm with the butt held in my finger tips.
3)Bloodknots are more compact and neater in appearance than the bulkier surgeons which I've found to be far more prone to tangle/catch on tags etc.A properly tied,tightly trimmed bloodknot is just simply the "proper" knot to use IMHO.