View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM

You can buy different Maxima lines at Wholesale Sports (I know for sure the South Edm location). I've bought both clear and UG there.

One a side note, I typically use "modified" store bought leaders, just because I don't like all the knots in the thick sections of line. Personal bias.

My typical stream leader is about 12.5-14 feet, and an average of 16 feet (for floating line work) on lakes and ponds. What I do it attach about 2-3 extra feet of Maxima for a butt section, and attach it with a uni knot, coated with a carefully small amount of Zap. I also chop off the stock 12-24 inches of "tippet" length on the leader (the uniformly small line at the very tip of the leader) and then attach my own tippet, usually another 3 feet. When I do this, I'll be, say a 4x leader and then attach 4x tippet. I'm just extending the length to what I prefer. So when all is said and done I have a leader that is roughly 12-13 feet (depending on the leader I started with) with a custom butt section and longer tippet. I'll repair the leader and add in sections as the season goes on, and by the end of the year I usually have 3 sections of tippet material in the leader that have been used to keep the taper and the over length.

Nick