View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Made this a few times now. I tried a new method of cooking the meat this weekend with great results so I figured I would share my experiment below for anyone else that wants to try.

Rolling into a loaf and baking works well but my wife and I prefer the darker meat from the outside. So this weekend I experimented by rolling the meat very thin and flat in a large ziplock bag, then placing in the oven on a cooking rack laid inside a pan to catch the drippings but to let both sides get exposed to air to try and brown up. It comes out of the bag easily just cut down both sides and flip the bag onto the rack. Cooked for a few minutes at 300F then flipped over and cooked for another few minutes. When it's done you get a nice "sheet" of donair meat that is easily sliced hot out of the oven without having to cool down and reheat. My wife likes it a little crispy so I also pan fried a few strips for her. End result was the juiciest and most authentic tasting meat that I have made from this recipe, and the texture was very similar to an east coast donair meat texture.

The sauce flavor is bang on and I make it in the proportions as per the recipe.

For the meat portions, my ground venison comes in 2 lb tubes from my butcher, so I use a full 2lb tube, and 1.5lb of regular ground beef. I used 1.5 times the amount of spice in the recipe to account for the extra meat. I ran both my ground venison and ground beef through my grinder using the finest plate size 3 times to help with the texture and also by alternating ground venison with ground beef on the first pass, it helps to mix up the meat completely. By doing this it minimized the amount of hand work to do to get the donair texture.

All in all, a very authentic tasting recipe and a great treat for everyone. I'm originally from NS and this is as close as it gets.

Thanks ALBTUFF!

Last edited by iliketrout; 03-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.