View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
We had a reverse osmosis filter put in when I was a kid. In 6 months I ended up with 14 cavities from 0. If you have soft teeth or kids with soft teeth I wouldn't recommend it as it pulls any fluoride out of the water. I live in Calgary now and I know we don't have fluoride in our water but I still wouldn't bother installing one.
I use RO at my work for a final rinse, after a chemical cleaning process on steel. Thanks to advice from CaberTosser, I started some research. Found out RO water, which I always assumed would be close to pH 7.0, actually can be closer to 5.0-5.5. Tested our water with a digital pH tester today, and it's 5.7. It grabs CO2 from the atmosphere and creates carbonic acid quite quickly. I'm now working on getting all our manifolds and fittings converted from brass and copper, to stainless steel at work. We are always replacing expensive fittings, and this is probably why. RO running over your teeth every day might have the same effect... Just something to think about.... I'd lean towards a filter over RO... Also, demineralized water is hungy for minerals, and will try to dissolve what it can to increase ion concentration. Just something to think about

Last edited by bloopbloob; 10-17-2018 at 10:21 PM.