View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
So I picked up a couple of boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade ammunition to break in the barrel of my new custom 280AI. Went to the range, set up and fired the first round, all good. Second shot was a miss fire. Inspected the firing pin/bolt and cleaned as per normal break in procedure. Fired the third round and upon ejecting the casing noticed that the primer had been blown out of the pocket. I then checked the first casing and sure enough, blown primer. I inspected the casings for other signs of stress or damage but did not notice anything.

This is a brand new custom built rifle that was chambered to the modern 280AI SAMMI specifications. It feeds and cycles beautifully with no jamming or tightness of any sort. The rifle was cleaned and left to cool between each shot. My question is, is this an ammunition failure or is it possible that there is an issue with the rifle ie; head spacing or something of that nature.

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.
I had the same thing happen with a tight McGowan barrel on my 22-250. My reloads did not show any pressure signs but I had a handful of Federal factory loads that were way too hot and I even pierced a primer.