View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM

It is perfectly normal to see two barrels when focusing on the clay. If you were seeing two clays then your problem would be focusing on the barrels rather than the clay.

You have a keen awareness of your peripheral vision and it is distracting you. I too have a keen awareness of peripheral vision and although it doesn't impact my shooting, it drives me absolutely nuts when driving in a busy city.

Anyway, I can easily check the alignment and proper shouldering in my peripheral vision while focusing on a target but many people can not. I find it an asset while shooting, especially when using different guns. The other day I was shooting two different shotguns on the same sporting clays course during the same round. My regular shotgun has no cast and a very flat rib. The other shotgun I was trying had too much cast and a raised rib that threw the pattern higher. I could easily make the adjustment in my peripheral vision and smash clays consistently with either gun.

Now obviously I would prefer to not make any adjustments while shooting, so the second gun will probably get moved along.

So what is your problem?

Your problem is two fold. The obvious answer is to buy a shotgun that hits where you are looking. The issue with this is that you are not experienced enough to shoulder your shotgun consistently, day in and day out. Even poor foot work can affect shouldering and alignment to a point of a miss. Basically, you are not qualified to buy a shotgun for yourself until you get lots more practice or a mentor that can help you.

Shotguns are also expensive and it is not realistic for most people to buy more than one nor do they shoot enough to garner any practical advantage from the high price of a custom fit.

Soooo, if your shotgun is not hitting where you are looking, you must start looking where your shotgun is hitting. This is going to sound demeaning but the broad side of a barn works perfectly. Hang a large sheet of paper with a big black dot on it. Shoulder your shotgun and fire at the dot while focusing only on the dot. Do this for several rounds and you will find where your shotgun is hitting in relationship to where you are looking. You can then try some adjustments with the spacers and shims. the directions of how each spacer impacts POI should have been included but is easy to figure out. Once you get it to a point where it is as close as it is going to get, you can get good enough to enjoy some clays and practice.

Now obviously this is not the ideal solution but it will work. I hunted for several years with a Mossberg 500 that threw a pattern a foot to the right and a foot or more high. It was my late season go to goose gun as it was the only shotgun in the house chambered for 3 inch shells. I seldom missed with it. My father left me a Browning Sporting that throws a pattern at least a foot higher than I like. I take it out at least once a year for a limit of birds and have no issues hitting with it. Basically, if you can't adjust your shotgun to you, you must adjust to your shotgun.