View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Gone Hunting

This time of year there are a lot of yearling deer that have recently been kicked out into the world on their own. They have always followed Mum and now they have to make their own decisions. You see them out in the open in daylight and crossing roads when and where they should not.

I see lots of areas where the problem of deer collisions could be reduced. If there was really the desire to do something proactive, the money could be made available to do this.

For example I was hunting in the county of Strathcona some years back. Most of the rural roads they are paved "high speed" roads now. On one side of this road was a wooded ravine (perfect deer day time cover). On the other side of the road a farmer had a pile of grain on a big tarp that would not fit in his granary. There were heavy trail from the ravine to the grain pile.

I guess the farmer didn't think of it but he had set up the perfect situation for deer/ vehicle collision. I hope there was no human fatality there that year. I would bet that eventually there was at least one deer collision there.

There was a problem with a fairly simple solution.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...