View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickhorn View Post
Are there any metis AO members reading this thread that go out each year and buy a hunting license, tags & draws and hunt in legal areas during legal times (as defined in the Regulations, not in a treaty) just like the rest of the hunters? If so, you should be proud of yourself. You have clearly made a choice that will help sustain our resources. This is step number one.

So if there are any reading this, I encourage you to speak (or type) up. I honestly don't know how many (if any) fall into this group, but if we can get this group talking and cooperating with each other, well, that's would be the best start conservationists could ask for. I know for a fact you'll get nothing but overwhelming support from the vast majority of hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.

Anyone?
One of my best friends of 32 years is full status. He has never hunted out of season. Has hunted every season except throughout his university years. 2 degrees. I have watched him pass up animal after animal and has never taken a "trophy." No sheep and lives beside a mountain with them. He likes wild meat and hunts for that only, never has taken more than 1 animal per season. He did get his first antelope last year. Fish & wildlife know him well
as he will call in or go to their office to report what he has harvested. He would be the first guy to call in any illegal activities. He has never used his
status to aide and abett any other hunter including myself. If i killed something illegally or by mistake he would absolutely expect me to be at F&W's offfice to report it, and i would. If i did not it would end our frienship. I believe this subject is a very sensitive issue to all sportsman and i am posting this in the hopes that we all keep in mind not every metis or status guy is bad. We all notice the bad drivers, not the good ones. He himself believes that his "people" are very often their own worst enemy. We have many discussions about this and like most of the people on this forum, would like things to be equal across the board. He believes what is fair is not having to buy tags etc. We both agree
that the biggest problem with the native and metis hunting is the lack
of stats for harvest #'s making things so difficult for the game management
people. I do have cree in my own veins and i hope and pray that metis hunting is abolished completely. I am very proud of my high income tax paying
friend.