View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
bradcougar10

Default Re: #1 issue of concern to anglers in Alberta

I think one way to help with funding is to require all potential anglers to take a regulated test... similar to a driver’s license! Just as with driving, people should have to show some competence with regards to angling. The test should include proper catch and release techniques, knot tying, gear care, knowledge of environment, etc, etc. This would weed out some of the 'undesirables' from the system and thus reduce the number of anglers in Alberta. Then again, look at how many bad drivers are out there, I guess as always some will slip through the cracks but this idea has some merit.

Secondly, with regards to increasing the license amount for alien anglers, I experienced an increase in license fee this past summer in Montana. They almost doubled the amount it cost us to fish for a week. I must admit that I was very upset when the kid told me how much it would cost. Upset enough to refuse and go back to the cabin. But after a day or so of sulking and realizing how badly I wanted to go fishing down there, I grabbed a set of brass ones and went back and bought the license. In other words, despite the number of aliens who would be upset at the increase (which should be large) those who really want to fish will pay. Others can get out!