Thread: fly rod
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
A few thoughts;
1) If you are not sure that you are going to stick with it...then don't spend a lot of money for gear that will end up sitting in the garage
2) If you are sure....you need to tell us where you normally fish and what you normally fish for...that will help determine what weight rod is best suited for your needs
3) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a reel for now
4) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a flyline...some of these cost half of what that entry level rod costs...yeah...insane!
5) If you are limited on money...don't forget the other items you may need...waders, boots, vest, flies, consumables, etc.
6) If you do get "hooked"...beware, it will be a never ending pit...more rods, more reels...
7) The entry level rods mentioned are a good place to start...but once you get into it, you will soon find the appeal of the Orvis, Sage, Winstons, Hardy's and the like too hard to resist.

Having said all that, a few comments on the replies so far
1) I agree with Mr. Flyguy...quality of some of the entry level stuff is pretty crappy.
2) I'm not sure what the concern about warranty is? What the heck do you guys do with your tackle...or is it just crappy quality to begin with???
I have a stable of over a dozen high end rods and have NEVER had an issue with any of them. Two of my Orvis rods are 40 years old now...one of which I still fish with regularly....
Same with reels...all original House of Hardys...still going strong.

If you buy quality, it will last. If you don't...you will be buying twice...the choice is yours.

Good luck with your purchase!
This is great advice. Best I’ve read on this thread.

Go to Cabelas and get a combo fly set up. They are on sale quite often. By yourself a dozen dry flies a box a vest some Ginko a pair of cheap waders and go have fun. If you shop right you can get all of that for 200.00-225.00. Go have fun. It’ll get expensive if you get addicted like the rest of us.

BW