View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Default steps in loading black powder in a plastic case - pic heavy!!

I was asked on another forum for pics of hand loading black powder without a press, so I went to the garage and took a bunch of pics .
I figured I would share them here.
I normally don't shoot plastic cases with black powder but in the case of the 10 gauge I have to as I cannot get brass cases here in Canada.
First off, many guns are not 2 3/4" but 2",2 1/2" , 2 7/8", and so on.
One must be sure if the chamber is not stamped on a vintage gun!
For the pictures I used a 10 gauge, seeing how i was loading some different shot for testing anyway, and wanted to shoot the old gun tonight!
So, I first cut the case to the desired length, these a[=articular 10's were factory Federals, and very long - the chamber on my Westley Richards hammer double is 2 7/8".
I use a band saw here but one can cut the case with a set of shears or a hacksaw as well.

I then use a small punch to drive out the old primer, and install a new one using a bigger punch- you can make a decapping pin from a nail without the point, and use a dowel to seat the primer as well.
I decap on something that will let the primer fall out, in this case a loading block, but drilling a small hole in your work bench or even a socket of the correct size will do. I drive the new primer home on a block of wood.

Next I use a black powder measure to add the powder - in this case, 110 grains of FFG

This next picture shows you the proper wad stack that will allow me to roll crimp the case.
I did not use a lubed wad in this case as I new I would be cleaning the gun before too many rounds were fired through it, but normally Ii would.
Si, two nitro card wads, followed by a cushion wad, an .035 wad on top of that to stop the shot embedding in the cushion wad, the shot, then the over shot wad.
I use the same volume of shot as I do powder, so you do not have to change the measure.

Ready for crimping - note the small amount of case above the overshot wad!

The roll crimper can be a vintage one, or liek the on in the pics, one that is chucked in a drill - my drill press runs too fast and melts the case, so I use a cordless drill here.

And there you have it, a nicely crimped shell- the only thing left to do is to mark the OS wad with the load data if you like, then shoot the sucker!!

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.