Thread: LR 22lr
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM

IMO, if you want to shoot small groups with a 22 it's gonna cost you. Rifles like 54 action Anschutz's will sure help. Euro ammo will help as well. However, the costs add up and sometimes you have to watch your spending.

I have a 452 that is pretty accurate. It likes the Mini Mags, both hollow point and round nose.
I also have the poor man's Annie (1416D). It shoots 50yd groups that are about 0.1 inch better than the 452. It also likes mini mags.
Both like Euro ammo more. The more expensive, the better.

We like to have some friendly competition. A can of pop would be a big prize.
Part one is shooting for group. 50 and 100yds
Part two is shooting from common hunting positions; prone, kneeling, seated on ground and freehand. Also at 50 and 100 yds.
Pick your target size depending on how confident you feel. I might choose a four inch circle worth 2 points and a three inch circle worth 4 points. Buddy might choose a 3 inch target and a two inch target. Ten shots each at your targets and add up your score. Repeat with each shooting position.

To keep things fair and fun, we agree upon the rifles, the price of the ammo and scope magnification.

Shot these recently with the Annie. Palomar scope but I had it dialed back to 9. Used Mini Mag round nose as it fit into the agreed upon ammo budget.

50m with mini mags

100m with mini mags

Pretty typical groups at 50yds. Maybe a tad better than average, hence the smiley. All groups fit under a dime. My 452 shoots a bit worse with this ammo but not by much.
The 100yd groups were pretty typical, except that there were no crazy flyers, which was nice. ( Just some normal flyers. ) It's not unusual to get a flyer that will blow up a group. Average group size here is about 1.23 inch. Smallest group is 0.75 inch largest is 1.84 inch. My CZ will shoot a bit worse on average.

Euro ammo will do better, but I am frugal. For practising, I am happy with this level of accuracy.

edit. at 200yards or meters, I use Euro ammo.

Last edited by Big Sky; 08-14-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: pressed submit too soon