View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Dozier and crotts have reputation for good reason. They excel at blades made for a specific function ( hunting) when you pay 500$ you know exactly what to expect. I personally have 3 d2 blades made by different makers and the heat treat or blade geometry is definitely different as the edge retention is different with all three. Many local custom makers prices rival a crotts or dozier but you are in essence buying blind. You can order a d2 blade but if thier heat treat or geometry is just off you might find it to be no better than a 440c other than it being harder to sharpen. There is so many things that go into a perfect blade that once you get into the high dollars most will go straight to a proven maker rather than taking a chance on a local.
Definitely the reason those makers market to the USA is numbers they are business men after all.
I agree. I have not seen anyone that I know personally or have good knowledge of through a quality forum like this that will stand up and unequivocally recommend a Canadian maker like Coaloil and Chuck do for Dozier and Crotts. I have owned more than a few custom made knives, sold every last one of them and kept using a Buck 110. All of them cost FAR more than my Buck 110, even though the buck has S30V steel. The Buck is at minimum as good as the best I have owned and in many cases better to far better a blade and design than any of the customs I have owned to date. Without the strong recommendations, I would have never bought another custom knife. I will be very interested to see the new Crotts in action against my current Buck.