View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I think that would be fun catching them on the ocean and likely makes a difference flavor wise. Good video! Takes a bit for the eyes to adjust at what you are seeing but very cool to see the sockeye keep trying and then get hooked up
Thanks for that.

I hear you on snagging. There are areas in Alaska were the locals can do that (I think) plus dip netting. Not my cup of tea either. I definitely understand why you would prefer ocean fishing versus river fishing.

That said, give the river another thought. There are plenty of spots around Terrace that offer the opportunity to experience solitude and fantastic river fishing. It is a pleasure to put all the gear away and get into simple fly casting for turbo charged salmon...with decent current. It is a blast!

All mine have been caught in the lips. I watched in Alaska as a big female chased my fly up in the water column and grabbed it. So not all sockeye seem to have the final death wish and egg release on their minds
Yeah you are right some sockeye will take a lure occasionally especially when the runs are big I heard people catch on spin glow fishing for chinook.

I do enjoy river fishing and got into in last fall for coho on the vedder river. They agressively take jigs, spinner, spoons, row. Lots of fun out there and they stay nice and chrome longer than the other salmon. Hooked into a few chum as well and man do they ever fight.

The fish can get mouth hooked fly fishing as well even if don't hit the fly. I think I've even flossed fish casting jigs. The line goes through mouth and then eventually get hooked as line passes through. Kind of works like flossing too. I'm sure some hit it but others get flossed. So many fish with their mouths open its bound to happen. I love watching them hit though. Very exciting.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures